Asparagus Soup - Smooth, Creamy, delicious eaten hot or cold.1 3/4 pounds Asparagus
2 medium White Onions, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of Celery, trimmed and chopped
2 Leeks, trimmed and chopped
2 quarts good-quality Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
10 small very fresh Free Range Eggs
8 slices Ciabatta Bread
a knob of Butter
extra virgin Olive Oil
1. Chop tips off asparagus and set aside for later. Roughly chop remaining stalks.
2. Add 2 TBSP Olive Oil to a large deep pan set to medium heat.
3. Saute Onions, celery and leeks gently for about 10 minutes until soft.
4. Add chopped asparagus stalks and soup stock. Simmer for 20 minutes with a lid on.
5. Remove from heat, puree with handheld or stand blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Return to heat, stir in Asparagus tips, bring back to a boil and simmer for a few more minutes until tips have softened.
7. Fill a wide pot with 3 to 4 inches of water and bring to a boil. Crack eggs into wate. Boil for about 3 minutes - you want them to be a bit runny inside.
8. Toast Ciabatta slices.
9. Remove poached eggs with slotted spoon and place on a plate. Add knob of butter to them.
To serve, divide soup between 8 warmed bowls and place a slice of toast into each. Put a poached egg on top, cut into it to make the yolk run. Season and drizzle with olive oil.
Hard Cooked EggsHard cooked eggs are often called "hard-boiled" even though they shouldn't be boiled at all.The contents of a fresh egg fill up the shell, making the shell difficult to peel. After some moisture evaporates from an egg, the contents shrink away from the shell.
DO NOT use fresh eggs to make this dish.
Make sure your eggs are at least one week old before being hard-cooked. This will make it much easier to peel away the shell.
- Place cold eggs in a saucepan.
- Cover them with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Leave the eggs in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from hot water and cool them quickly under cold running water to keep the yolks from turning green.
Cooked eggs keep well in the refrigerator for 1 week.